ENGLISH

Around South Hill

Book information

Publisher
Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Year
2011
ISBN
9781439626696, 2010933314
Language
english
Format
EPUB
Filesize
60 MB (62391067 bytes)
Series
Images of America
Pages
128\0
Time added
2022-12-22 20:24:35

Description

South Hill was formerly located on the old Buckhorn Road near the Meherrin River. It was the site of the first chartered school in Mecklenburg County in 1814. When the founder/teacher/minister/postmaster died in 1857, many from the community relocated 3 miles east to the Boydton-Petersburg Plank Toll Road. In 1888, W. W. "Buck" Harris, a local wheelwright and landowner at Piney Pond and Plank Road, died. At auction, 55 acres of his property were purchased, platted, and parceled for sale by A. E. Batemen and Charles Peck to establish a new South Hill community, which surrounded the Atlantic-Danville Railroad depot. Following this, South Hill became known as the town of highways. With each new highway came significant changes for the town and county.

Similar books